Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Bus Stop…..blah blah blah


If you are one of the many people that have to wait at the bus stop on Concord Ave, like myself, it’s one of the longest waits in the world. Waiting for the 74 and the 78 is not one of the most enjoyable times to spend your morning, but you know you have to go to work and want to be there on time. What I have been noticing lately is that one particular driver likes the old style of bus, the one that you have to lift you leg at least five feet to get onboard.

I was wondering to myself, did he pick that bus, because he doesn’t want to deal with the baby carriages, this is just a thought…..hooray for him LOL. I remember back in the day if you were bringing your toddler on the bus and you had a stroller you would fold it up, carry your child on the bus and make room for the passengers. Nowadays, it seems like we just don’t get any respect. I love children, I have one of my own, but I think baby carriages should be folded up and people should be courteous and make room for others. This is just my humble opinion.

Now it’s not just the baby carriages. There is one particular older gentleman that sits on the bus and reads his newspaper and I think he thinks he’s sitting in his own living room. He sprawls on the seat and looks at you and dares you to sit down. I haven’t taken the plunge yet, but when I do I will let you know. The trials and tribulations of riding the 74&78.

Don’t you just dread waiting for the bus in the Underground Railroad platform in Harvard Sq. It’s hot, stuffy and you can’t even get any cellphone service to past the time. Guess what I heard the reason there are so many 71’s and 73’s, is because the planner of the bus schedules lives on that route, how enlightening. I heard she retired, but it’s amazing how often they come and the very low ridership. There were plenty of times I have seen those buses come into the tunnel with one or two people and sometimes they are completely empty, but whatcha gonna do blah, blah blah….

I’m to the point that I catch the first thing smoking to get home and that is usually the 72, where you can get off at the corner of Huron and Concord and walk down. Hey I got a tidbit for you. If you get out in Central Sq., what I usually do to beat the Underground Railroad fiasco, I take the 83, which stops on Rindge Ave and you can walk down Sherman and easily walk to your destination, it’s better than waiting in Harvard Sq. Just thought I’d share that with you.

I betcha didn't know that the 78 is one the the possible buses slated for elimination and the 72, which they consider one of the buses that overlap on another route will be eliminated too. The schedule for the 74 is going to be adjusted and who knows what that means. They are reducing all weekday evening bus service by 50% after 8:00 P.M. and reducing all weekend bus service by 50%.

There will be a hearing on Thursday, August 13th at the Somerville High School Auditorium, 81 Highland Ave - 5:30 - 7:30 P.M. I cant make, but if you can let me know and I will post it on the blog.

What have been some of your experiences riding the bus, please do share. Your comments are welcome.....

No comments:

Post a Comment