Friday, December 31, 2010

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

I was in  Harvard Square last night and stopped in the Curious George children's store.  I was browsing the book selection when I stumbled across "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening.  That book brought back so many memories.   I learned that poem in the 8th grade at the Houghton School in Cambridge.  The school curriculum at the Houghton School was the best ever.  The things I learned have stuck in my head over the years.  Did you know that the Great Lakes spells HOMES:
HuronOntarioMichiganErieSuperior. 

Our  teacher Regina B. Key,  used to rap, before rapping became a phenomenon. She would write on the board "Mary went to the store" and we would recite while she tapped the ruler on the desk with a rhythmic beat,  "Mary is the subject therefore nominated case, first person singular".  Let me share one of my favorite  poem's with you.

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

By Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment